And the fun begins...

Who says foodie adventures have to be complicated and expensive? This is The Simple Pan, where we have fun with food, try new recipes and jazz up old ones, exploring interesting ingredients and working on kitchen experiments without emptying our bank accounts or driving anyone to distraction with instructions that require a Cordon Bleu education. Let the fun begin!





Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chuck's Marmalade, with Pictures

I made Chuck Hughes' marmalade on Tuesday night, and it turned out really well. It's ridiculously simple, but I took pictures anyway.

I started off by taking 6 clementines and boiling them for about half an hour, until they were really soft. The smell in the house was lovely. I only used 6 for the first time, in case it didn't go well. But it was just enough, and made a jar of marmalade.
Once they were soft, I cooled them off in cold water and chopped them up, skin and all. I did cut of the little stemmy bit at the top, but other than that, everything went in. Again, the smell was heavenly.

I placed the chopped clementines back into the sauce pan and added 1 cup of sugar.

I then cooked the mixture on medium/low heat. There was a lot going on here in the kitchen while I was making this, and so I cooked it a little too long and slightly scorched the bottom, but I would say 20 minutes or so would've done it. It still came out lovely and fragrant, with that sweet, mildly bitter taste that is classic marmalade.

When I make it again, I will pay more attention to the cooking time, and take it off the heat when there is still a bit more syrup. Still, it is quite lovely. It is really nice on toast. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. great pictures, Kelly. The site is really coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am having so much fun with this. I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete