And the fun begins...

Who says foodie adventures have to be complicated and expensive? This is The Simple Pan, where we have fun with food, try new recipes and jazz up old ones, exploring interesting ingredients and working on kitchen experiments without emptying our bank accounts or driving anyone to distraction with instructions that require a Cordon Bleu education. Let the fun begin!





Sunday, January 29, 2012

The No-knead Bread Week-end

I feel like I spent the whole week-end making no-knead bread. Of course, it’s not like I’m wiped out or anything. After all, it is no-knead.


In a previous post I wrote about how I had been baking the no-knead bread wrong, which had lead to a great coconut-white chocolate bread discovery. Still, baking it the right way, in a heated pot, in a 450 F oven, makes all the difference. It's a wonderfully rustic loaf, with a substantial crust and a moist, chewy interior. Very ploughman lunch-ish.


This is my latest effort at the coconut, white chocolate bread. Only I had run out of white chocolate chips, and substituted butterscotch instead. Yeah. Not a winner. It was okay, and it is possible that I have been eating so much bread lately that I am "breaded-out" and just couldn't appreciate it as much, but it didn't taste right. The butterscotch chips aren't a subtle enough flavor to go with the coconut. The flavors aren't supposed to jump out and hit you in the face. It's supposed to be gently sweet, chewy, with vague creamy bits of milky white chocolate. Also, the butterscotch chips melted weirdly and left brown streaks in the bread. Not terribly appetizing. But, since mistakes are half the fun, I figured I'd post the pictures anyway.
The link for the no-knead recipe is http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html. It's a wonderful thing. I think I'll be moving away from bread for a while, though. I want to try making a sourdough at some point. I made one years ago, and really enjoyed the yummy treats that came from it. I especially remember making lovely sourdough English muffins. For now, though, I'm a bit tired of bread. Yeah, I know. How can it be?

For supper on Saturday night, I made a potato bacon cheddar tart. I found the recipe on the Michael Smith website. I took pics, which I will post next time. Yes, it was lovely and decadent. Oooh-la-la

No comments:

Post a Comment